· Outer ear can be wiped with a wash cloth or soft towel. If water goes in after head shower or swimming mere dabbing with towel with head turned to side, cleans water.
· You can use ready made preparation of alcohol based to dry the ear if you are sure that you don’t have ear infection.
· Do not put anything in the ear, remember it is not only for pins; it is for ear buds and q-tips as well, believed to be safe and made for ear-cleaning( even most intellectual people think so).
· Ear is not a cooking-range, does not require oil, garlic and so on.
· Ear wax is not a disease, rather a protective secretion which comes out by its own where it can be wiped out.
· Excess wax causing obstruction is to be removed by your clinician.
· During ascent and descent while air-travelling, swallow frequently to keep Eustachian tube open, infant can be put to bottle feeding.
· Avoid air-travel during cold/sinusitis, but if not avoidable use nasal/oral decongestant before ascent and decent.
Cold/sinusitis/Eustachian tube and ear:
· Do not blow nose forcefully during cold, it forces secretion towards middle ear via Eustachian-tube.
· Take care of upper respiratory tract infection/sinusitis to reduce risk of ear infection.
· During infant feeding, keep his head high to avoid milk/fluid entering middle ear via Eustachian tube as infants have short and horizontal tube.
· Turn down volume of MP3 player/television.
· While working in noisy area, rock concerts wear ear protection devices.
Visit your doctor: