There is no cure and no specific treatment is efficacious for noise/ringing in the ears/head; however you can opt from many options available. In some cases it can be quieted with treatment of cause. In majority of sufferers there is no serious pathology and reassurance is all what is needed.
‘Nothing can be done and you have to live with it’ is to be avoided and patient should be assessed and investigated properly by otolaryngologist, audiologist and neurologist if required, to find any treatable condition.
Treatment protocol should be reviewed, explained to the patient and rational behind the treatment should be clearly understood by the person.
Various treatment options
- Treat the treatable cause
- Prevention and General Measures for tinnitus
- Tinnitus retraining Therapy- includes sound therapy and counseling.
- I. Sound Therapy–
- External sound source
- Hearing Aids
- Cochlear electric stimulation/implant
- II. Counseling
- Biofeedback (relaxation technique)
- Alternative therapy (and ginkgo biloba)
- Music therapy
- Yoga therapy
- Transcranial Magnetic stimulation
- Ultra high frequency vibration therapy