Person should be assessed and investigated properly by otolaryngologist, audiologist and neurologist if required, to find any treatable condition; management of cause usually take care of tinnitus.
- Stop medicines causing tinnitus.
- Wax, foreign bodies can be removed.
- Treatment of middle ear infections and fluid should be done.
- Otosclerosis and tinnitus- Surgery and/or hearing aids; surgery may not cure tinnitus and a failed surgery can cause severe tinnitus but correcting conductive deafness (even with poor speech discrimination) allows masking effective.
- Menieres disease- Tinnitus is difficult to treat in non functioning (dead) ear, so decision for destructive surgery should be taken with care.
- Abnormal patency of ET- Mostly seen after weight loss, can be corrected by minor surgical correction (25% silver nitrate or diathermy)
- Surgery for tumor
- Hearing aids for hearing loss
- Treatment of blood pressure/thyroid disorder/other medical conditions causing tinnitus.
Next post: –
Management of tinnitus