Previous post- Treatment of underlying cause
Prevention is the best way to ensure no worsening of disease. Certain life style changes are required for tinnitus –
- Take care of the body by giving it enough rest, sleep and water.
- Dietary supplements Vitamins A, C, E, and B group and Zinc
- Micro nutrients to prevent noise induced hearing loss
- Support and stress management; taking a positive step in controlling the condition and changing response to it
- Regular exercise
- Decrease intake of salt
- Avoid food with high sugar
- Limit exposure to loud noise, occupational and recreational
- Avoid aspirin, and NSAIDS
- Avoid ototoxic medicine
- Avoid nicotine, alcohol, caffeine
- Take steps to lower blood pressure and cholesterol
- Ginkgo Biloba extract is an effective, well tolerated whilst not effective in every single patient, the proven benefits far outweigh any risks.
Next post- management of tinnitus
There is no cure and no specific treatment is efficacious for noise/ringing in the ears/head; however you can opt from many options available. In some cases it can be quieted with treatment of cause. In majority of sufferers there is no serious pathology and reassurance is all what is needed.
‘Nothing can be done and you have to live with it’ is to be avoided and patient should be assessed and investigated properly by otolaryngologist, audiologist and neurologist if required, to find any treatable condition.
Most important and essential aspect is educating person with respect to causes and nature of tinnitus, keep in mind treat the patient not the tinnitus…
Treatment protocol should be reviewed, explained to the patient and rational behind the treatment should be clearly understood by the person.
Various treatment options
- Treat the treatable cause
- Prevention and General Measures for tinnitus
- Tinnitus retraining Therapy- includes sound therapy and counseling.
- External sound source
- Hearing Aids
- Cochlear electric stimulation/implant
- Biofeedback (relaxation technique)
- Alternative therapy (and ginkgo biloba)
- Music therapy
- Yoga therapy
- Transcranial Magnetic stimulation
- Ultra high frequency vibration therapy
Next post: – treatment of conditions causing tinnitus
Previous post: finding cause for tinnitus