Usually with winter respiratory and throat infection cases increases, but this year physicians and ENT clinics are witnessing increased number of Patients as Mumbai is experiencing unusual low levels of temperature for prolonged period.
With High level of pollutants and particulate matter trapped in the morning fog allergic cold (rhinitis) and sore throat cases are on rise.
You can read more about air pollution in Mumbai at agreeneryoutoo.blogspot.com by Sunita purushottam
Usually you can wait for 7-10 days for symptoms to go away with some home measures if it is improving or not worsening.
- Dress in layers wear woolen cloths
- Protect hands and feet (30% of heat escapes through hands and feet
- Cover head with hat or scarf (40% of heat lost through head)
- In excessive old cover your face with scarf
Decongestants shrink the blood vessels in the lining of the nose and relieve stuffiness. Decongestant nasal sprays and drops should not be used for more than 3 days, because they have rebound effect and can make the congestion worse.
Antihistamines may reduce the amount of mucus but most antihistamines make people drowsy.
- Gentle saline nasal sprays are quite helpful.
For a baby an infant nasal aspirator can help remove the mucus. Putting two or three saline nose drops into each nostril helps in loosening of thick mucus. Discharge can be cached outside the nostril on a tissue rather than inserting cotton swab inside the nose.
- Warm saline gargles (lukewarm water with common salt) soothes throat.
- Use of vaporizer (Steam inhalation) or humidifier can be done to increase the humidity in the air.
- Maintain hydration as cold air has drying effect.
- Keep the head elevated while sleeping.
Adhesive strips can be placed on the nose. These strips help widen the nostrils, making breathing easier.
- Hot tea, broth, or chicken soup may be especially helpful.
- Keep balanced diet with vitamins and minerals to boost immunity.
- Avoid outside food
- Take adequate rest
- Wash hands regularly
- Avoid smoking and alcohol as it increases nasal irritation
Get flu vaccine
It is important to understand the symptoms of common cold, flu and sinusitis for appropriate treatment.
Last but not the least to share with all health care professionals